Friday, January 14, 2011

Question

Chapter 3
What stood out to me.
"As C.S. Lewis pointed out, 'The more we get what we call 'ourselves' out of the way and let Him take us over, the more truly ourselves we become.' The alternative is the real disaster. 'The more I resist Him and try to live on my own, the more I become dominated by my own heredity and upbringing and surroundings and natural desires. In fact what I so proudly call 'Myself' becomes merely the meeting place for trains of events which I never started and which I cannot stop.'
Only when we respond to Christ and follow his call do we become our real selves and come to have personalities of our own."

I found out that there are study questions for each chapter at the back of the book (thanks, Colby!). So, here's my response to the scripture focus on Exodus 3. God speaks to Moses from the burning bush. But, I don't know if it's really from the bush or the fire. It just underscores for me that you really don't know what God looks like - he's not the bush, not the fire. But you do know that you are in his presence - unmistakeably in his presence.

God identifies himself as "I AM", not I am _______. He is undescribable. He is. And he calls Moses to go back to Egypt. After all those years of being sure of who you are and acting on it (prince of Egypt) and then finding out you have to run because that's not what's going to rescue the people; then wandering around the desert for years chasing sheep. NOW God calls you. Now you know you go on God's reputation, not yours. Now Moses is becoming the person God made him to be.

The haunting question is "Who am I?" The answer? It's found in I AM.

(Yes, I need to catch up on posting. Reading ch. 5 today.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I will get this book and join you. The quote by CS Lewis sounds like something from "My Utmost for His Highest".

Nancy Reynolds