Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Fit

I read the first chapter of "The Call" several times this morning. I've been reflecting on it off and on all day (it was Jan. 10 when I started writing this post). I remember when I realized that "fit".

I responded to "the call" because I found such clarity in the Christ life. Jesus wants us to make a difference in this world for His kingdom. I found a compelling purpose in that. As I tried to find out what exactly that was for me, I was drawn to the church and counseled to go to seminary to prepare. Back then, it meant being a missionary or, as some advised me, to become a preschool teacher because that's the only thing churches in Hawaii would hire me to do. For those who know me, can you imagine me with preschoolers? Talk about a square peg in a round hole - what a 'mis-fit'.

About 13 years after I returned to Hilo, and after doing various things as an apprentice and later minister of education, it was the summer of 1990 when I realized it. Discipling students, especially those in high school and college, that's what fit. That's what I was made to do. And only God knew that. It taught me a lot about church positions, church expectations, and the mystery of the mind of God. Not necessarily the same.

This may be an interesting read. Hope it will be for others, too.

4 comments:

Leytonrhys said...

I just reread this chapter today between services. I still don't think I fully get it. This weekend our pastor used a quote from this book too. I gotta read it from the beginning again.

just words said...

Any clearer today?
Sometimes reading further on helps.
What chapter are you on?

Jamie said...

I hope you agree with the statement, "Better late than never" because I am just now getting around to opening "The Call".

Chp 1 thoughts:
I believe I'm in a stage in my life that the author refers to when he talks about finding and fulfilling purpose- "Graduate students confront it when the excitement of 'the world is my oyster' is chilled by the thought that opening up one choice means closing down others."

I find myself timid to "commit" to one activity, ministry, or whatever you want to call it. I feel like there is SO many different things that I could be doing that would bring Glory to God (which is my ultimate goal) but I find myself having difficulty committing to one thing in fear that I am choosing the wrong thing. The problem is that it leaves me not doing much.

I really liked the part of the chapter that says, "Deep in our hearts, we all want to find and fulfill a purpose bigger than ourselves.... 'The thing is to understand myself, to see what God really wants ME to do; the thing is to find a truth which is true FOR ME, to find the IDEA FOR WHICH I CAN LIVE AND DIE'"

I really agreed with that statement because it is the personal "ME" that I long to know-- What is God's purpose for ME? Not just what is God's purpose for His people-- But specifically for ME.

just words said...

Keep reading, Jamie. I think you'll find the later chapters responding to the things you're going through.

And yes, I also think better late than never. Glad you're along for the ride/read.